Senior Structural Engineer (Insurance), Leeds
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and driven engineer with experience of working on insurance claims and is keen to develop their career in structural engineering. As a senior engineer, you will be working in an associate-led team with responsibility for your own projects, as well as managing intermediate and graduate engineers in the team. You will also be expected to manage project budgets and engage with clients and fellow consultants. Travel throughout the country will be required, although principally throughout the north and Midlands. You will be required to have a flexible approach to problem solving and excellent attention to detail.
Candidates must reflect Perega’s values of being collaborative, forward thinking, passionate, approachable and enriching our community.
Responsibilities of the role
- Structural surveys and inspections looking at building defects. Reporting on damage as part of insurance claims.
- Working within a small team of engineers and surveyors, being responsible for the day-to-day management and coordination of building repair and refurbishment projects, acting as contract administrator and reporting back to the associate / director.
- Accepting and confirming instructions and maintaining regular contact with clients throughout the course of the project.
- Running refurbishment and building repair projects on a variety of building types and contract values ranging from £50k to £1m from initial survey, production of specifications and schedules of work, preparation of budget estimates, applying for and liaising with relevant authorities to ensure all appropriate statutory consents are obtained, to obtaining tenders and acting as contract administrator throughout the construction period.
- Execute and coordinate projects, providing high quality technical design
- Produce technical design information including drawings, calculations, specifications and reports
- Review and approve reports, designs, drawings, sketches and calculations in accordance with quality procedures
- Manage the preparation of feasibility studies and reports
- Undertake structural surveys and produce reports giving findings, discussion, conclusions and recommendations
- Undertake the project management and financial control of small and medium sized projects
- Liaise effectively with clients, local authorities and other design team members
- Supervise and monitor the use of computer-based systems to ensure these are used correctly
- Supervise and support junior members of the team
- Assist in the preparation of bids and proposals
- Adhere to existing working practices, methods and procedures
- Deliver ‘best practice’
- Proactive in self-development
- Plan site investigation works
- Prepare design and progress reports
- Deliver agreed business development targets
- Assist the marketing department
- Obtain and review quotes for investigation works
- Manage the appointments and work of sub-contractors carrying out investigation works
- Coordinate work undertaken by external sub-contractors
- Attend and input at design meetings and site meetings, and record actions
- Undertake site inspections, record findings and advise on any required actions
- HND/HNC in civil or structural engineering
- Very good understanding in engineering principles
- Competent in designing structures in concrete, steelwork, timber and masonry
- Conversant in designing to British Standards/Eurocodes
- Understand complex construction procedures
- Knowledge of design software and its limitations
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience in delegating, supervising and mentoring junior team members
- Good organisational/time management skills
- Proactive approach to work
- Commitment to continual improvement at a personal and company level
- Competent and sound knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Full driving licence
- University degree in civil or structural engineering
- Professionally qualified with ICE or IStructE
- Working knowledge of SCIA and Tekla Building Designer
- CAD skills
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Perega put people first. Our team and clients are at the heart of everything we do. We’re team players, and together we collaborate to find solutions. Because they love what we do, our people are always thinking, and are open to new ideas and innovation that will help to make our projects more successful.
Our Leeds office is a friendly and comfortable space, easily accessible by car or public transport. What you get will depend on what you do, with individual performance-related rewards also on offer in addition to:
- 25 days annual leave plus additional days for long service
- The ability to buy and sell holiday days
- Family friendly policies including flexible and hybrid working
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Professional development
- 5% pension contribution
- Private healthcare
- Cycle to Work Scheme
To apply for this role, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
As an equal opportunities employer, Perega is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join Perega.